For the latest full Breed Benchmark please see the Signet website
Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs) and Indexes for Terminal Sire breeds have been updated. Signet’s new monthly, mixed breed analysis increases the commercial focus of existing traits and introduces a series of new EBVs.
Rebasing – EBVs and indexes have been rebased and are expressed relative to the average animal in 2010.
Weight adjusted traits – Please note that carcase traits are now weight adjusted. This means that EBVs are a better prediction of carcase composition at a fixed weight. Example: A ram with a muscle depth EBV of +2mm is estimated to produce lambs with loin depths 1mm deeper at a fixed weight than a ram with an EBV of 0.
|Top 50%||Top 25%||Top 10%|
|Litter Size Born EBV||0.01||0.04||0.07|
|Maternal Ability EBV||0.20||0.42||0.61|
|Eight Week Weight EBV||0.93||1.56||2.12|
|Scan Weight EBV||2.34||4.05||5.58|
|Muscle Depth EBV||0.16||0.67||1.13|
|Fat Depth EBV||-0.12||0.10||0.29|
- Litter Size Born (%) – EBV for female prolificacy.
- Maternal Ability (kg) – EBV for maternal care, particularly milkiness.
- Eight Week Weight (kg) – EBV for growth to eight weeks of age.
- Scan Weight (kg) – EBV for growth to scanning.
- Muscle Depth (mm) – EBV for muscling across the loin at a fixed weight.
- Fat Depth (mm) – EBV for fatness across the loin at a fixed weight.
- Gigot Muscularity (mm) – EBV for width of gigot at a fixed weight.
- Terminal Index – Superior breeding potential for growth and carcase characteristics.
- Maternal Index – Superior breeding potential to produce productive female replacements.